I’ve been watching Project Runway for years and I’m so excited to share Scott Patric’s (Project Runways lead makeup artist) hottest makeup tips for this season, how to get the perfect natural look and his experience working with the Project Runway celebrities and models! Check it out below.
How was your experience working with celebrities on Project Runway?
It is fun, challenging, and exhilarating working with the models and designers on Project Runway. We are in a creative time crunch, so we use all our know-how and creativity to pull it all together and make a great look for the audience and judges to view.
How should women emphasize their natural glow with makeup?
-Have a clear and simple direction before you start your makeup and you will get there faster and the look will be neater when you finish.
-Pick a feature to focus. If today the focus is a red lip, just define the eye and let the lip speak. If tomorrow it’s a smokey eye, then the lip steps back.
-“Sheer out” your foundations with moisturizer. Use foundation on problem spots from the bottle, and where your skin is great, let it show through by sheering out.
-Always use lots of mascara!! If you are in a rush, don’t skip the mascara, skip something else because the eyes are the window to your soul!!
-A white, shimmery highlight in the inner corner of your eye makes it look like you’ve had lots of rest. It brightens your whole face.
How can normal women pull off the “natural look”?
Women after 40 definitely need to moisturize. We need to be hydrated and do yoga. Find a foundation that is sheer but with a good amount of coverage. Try the Shu Uemura tinted spf because you will look flawless and have sun protection. For lips, try Chanel Rouge Coco in Charme #40. It’s hydrating with a touch of soy pink mauve color. It’s awesome! Always highlight the great spots on your face. Lips always feel young with a light gloss. Keep it simple. A beautiful lip and a clean face goes a long way. Eyeshadows with less shine work better for women over 40.
What are some of your personal must-haves and why are they so amazing?
My personal all-time favorite products are Benefit’s They’re Real! Mascara for longer, fuller, more gorgeous lashes. Luminous Silk Foundation by Giorgio Armani makes your skin look like you are fifteen! Nars Blush in Orgasm is the right blush shade for almost every skin color – the name says it all! Dolce & Gabbana’s Classic Cream Lipstick in Tender #510 and Delicious #415 are citrus bright lipsticks perfect for the beach or an party after.
What is hot this season?
Fall makeup is about a berry lip. It feels so great after the summer brights to take it back to a more chic berry and a subtle, grey smoke around the eye.
To ensure a beautiful look throughout the day, what are the top three things women should carry around in their purse?
Every woman should have blotting papers, an eyelash curler, and Burt’s Bees peppermint lip balm in her purse!
Make sure to drop by
I am a total ligloss/lip stick/lip balm addict! My purse, makeup bag, nightstand and even my baby bag always has a stash ready for me to use at any moments notice. And when I dont have them and I need them I panic! It doesnt even necessarily have to be an actual lip product…I’ve been known to layer a little eye shadw over a lip balm, some light foundation and lipgloss for the perfect nude lip…the possibilities are endless and I’m always on the lookout for any new ways to apply some color and products to add to my collection. One brand that I’ve used and always trust is Burt’s Bees (I always grab a tube of their shimmer lip balm at the check out counter at my local pharmacy or super center). The price point is amazing considering the quality and varity of natural eco friendly products that they provide and since I’m a sucker for their always adorable packaging.
Celebrity make-up artist Katey Denno made her transition from traditional make-up products to organic with Burt’s Bees and equally fell in love with their 100% natural products and is now sharing her amazing tips and info that she’s picked up in the always expanding green beauty market. She’s now teamed up the equally fabulous Burt’s Bees and is sharing her exclusive lip tips and tricks that are both naturally creative and glamorous. I love how she incorporates the layering of products to achieve a natural lip color that’s perfect for the upcoming warmer weather (click
Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Burt’s Bees, but the opinion expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Burt’s Bees’.
I’m far from being a expert in applying makeup but I am a busy mom who has a few tricks up my sleeve. The key for me is to keep my makeup routine quick and easy, mostly because I’m up by 6:30 a.m. and out the door by 7 a.m. Below are my favorite six products that I apply in less than five minutes:
1. Loose powder foundation (it’s fool proof and keeps the oil to a minimum).
2. Bronzing powder. Besides using it on my cheeks I also dab it on my eyes in place of eyeshadow and even add a tad on my lips for a little tint.
3. Mascara. I use three coats but for me the key is to apply more towards the outer lashes and wiggle the brush inwards (it opens up the eye giving it a wide awake look).
4. A little bit of eyeliner on the upper and lower corners of the eyes.
5. White eye shadow applied to the corner of my eyes using a Q Tip for a brighter look.
6. Lip balm and lipgloss. I apply the lip balm all over and use the lipgloss only on the center of my lips (it gives the illusion of a fuller lips).
During the summer I take it down a notch and only use a basic SPF 30 moisturizer, mascara and lipgloss. I started using the loose powder foundation when I moved to Florida because it has a longer staying power against the humidity, but lately it’s been leaving my skin looking dull. Which is why I was so excited when I was offered the chance to review some of Revlon® new products like their new Photo Ready BB cream with SPF 30 and their super lustrous lipgloss and lipstick.
Revlon’s Photo Ready BB Cream offers a lot for the price: hydration like a moisturizer, a foundation like coverage, smooth like a primer and covers up flaws like a concealer (all while protecting your skin with SPF 30). My skin is acne prone but also gets dry if I don’t hydrate, so when I applied the bb cream the first thing I noticed was the creamy, soft texture and how easy it was to blend into my skin. I didn’t want to add too much of any other makeup products because I wanted to really see if it let me skin show through – which happily it did. The coverage was sheer and left a fresh face feel and look which is perfect for someone like me who likes to wear makeup but not look like I’m wearing it. Other observations include:
I wore the BB Cream all day running errands in a 90 degree/humid dyad it stood the test. It looked just as fresh from beginning to end (I just wish I could say the same about my hair!).
The lipgloss and lipstick shades are gorgeous! I don’t normally wear such bold shades but these weren’t harsh. The berry allure lipgloss (see below) was sheer and super shiny and the lipstick was overall very pretty and perfect for evenings.
Revlon has now gotten my beauty routine back on track and I’m officially hooked on the BB cream!
Revlon believes there is more than one way for women to be seen. Revlon’s heritage as a color authority and its suite of innovative products inspires women around the world to express themselves through beauty each and every day.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Revlon Consumer Products via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Revlon Consumer Products.
Sure, stars like Jennifer Lopez, Kim Kardashian and Blake Lively are blessed with natural beauty. But make no mistake; they don’t tumble out of bed and onto the red carpet. Instead, they rely on their beauty team to help play up their assets and disguise their less-than-perfect parts. We asked a few top makeup artists for their best tips on getting your gorgeous on.
1. Dress your eyes from inner to outer corner, not bottom to top.
Long ago, most makeup artists tossed out the technique of applying different shades of eye shadow to the lid, the crease and just under the brow bone. For a modern look, apply color in a subtle graduation of lighter to darker, working horizontally — not vertically — says Sharona Rahimian, co-owner of Style Bar Beverly Hills, a hair and makeup studio. A fresh summer nighttime look: a touch of gold on the inner corner of the eye, a wash of pink on the lid, and a swipe of a darker color — green, purple or bronze — on the outer third of the eye, extending just past the corner.
2. Blush believably. “Perfect blush application is all about placement,” says New York City makeup artist Raychel Wade. “Ideally, you want the burst of color to be directly on the apples of your cheeks. A foolproof way of finding this is to nestle the brush directly under your eye pupil and across from the tip of your nose, and blend up and out 2 inches.”
3. Boost a bold mouth with concealer. When Hollywood makeup artist Brett Freedman uses lipstick in shades like red, plum or berry on celebrities such as Katharine McPhee, Lucy Liu and Patricia Heaton, he preps their mouths by applying a pale concealer over their lip lines before applying liner and lipstick. “It gives you a really crisp lip that’s a very grown-up look,” he says. Touch up after dinner by blotting lips with a tissue, then reapplying concealer, lip liner and lipstick.
4. Wear false eyelashes for the flirtiest fringe. Mascara goes a long way in adding length and fullness to the lashes you have, but it takes some extra enhancement to achieve those lush red-carpet lashes. “Nothing opens up the eye and offers the density and glamour of false eyelashes,” says Kerry Herta, an Emmy-nominated makeup artist. It takes just a little practice to master strip lashes; just remember to trim the strip to fit the length of your eye, and apply the teeniest amount of adhesive. To blend your real lashes with the false ones, trace a very thin line of liquid eyeliner at the base of your lashes and apply a final coat of mascara.
5. Shimmer, but just a little. For a super-flattering incandescent look, skip the sparkle and glitter and go for subtle sheen. Apply a touch of a highlighting powder or cream in gold, pink or champagne on the tops of your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose and just under your brow bone. If you have dark under-eye circles, you can add a dot of highlighter just under the center of your eyes too.
Don’t neglect your body. “Every inch of skin that’s exposed should have a bit of gleam to it,” says Freedman. That includes shoulders, arms, decolletage and collarbone. What’s more, a light veil of a luminescent body lotion “will scatter the light to hide flaws, like skin dimpling, and make every body part look a little more perfect,” he says. Secret tip: To make your legs look longer and leaner, put an extra stripe of highlighter up the front on your legs, along the shin bone.
Photo: Getty Images
Shelley Levitt, managing editor of The Style Glossy, is a former West
Coast editor of SELF and senior writer at People.
By Shelley Levitt for
Check out what these fabulous fashion bloggers wrote about this week!
Get the Look: Eyes that Pop (
Sexy Spring Haircuts to Try Now (
Street Style – Shoes (
Earthy Hues To match My Mocha (
Twenty Under $20: Eco Totes (
Now Wearing MiH Marakesh Kick Flare Jeans (
The following is guest post by Dee from
So to prep for beach-friendly beauty, take a look at these great products that’ll stay put while the rest of you is melting!
Check out what these fabulous fashion bloggers wrote about this week!
Smitten Saturday (
Jenny Humphrey’s Necklace in The Goodbye Gossip Girl (
Nick Arrojo Replaced by Ted Gibson on What Not to Wear (
Trend Alert: Wide Leg Jeans (
Forever21 Pick of the Day: Knotted Back Knit Dress, $18.90 (
Better With A Girlfriend – Summer Shape Up! (
Blue Note – Fabulous Looks for the Denim/Chambray Shirt (
The New Power Suit (
Completely Gratuitous Outfit Post (
The Only Way To Do Acid Wash (
Spring Summer 2009: Casual Skirt Outfits (
Chanel Becomes Inspiration for the Ultimate Style Ride (
Be Aggressive With Alice + Olivia for Payless (
Over the Top Accessories (
Shore Things: Chic Beach totes (
Maximize Your Outfit Without Maximizing your Rear (
Daily Candy deals, Lucky Breaks & People Stylewatch Exclusives (
Faux Friday – Fabulous and Affordable Shoes (
Get The Luxe Look (
One Lace Burberry Dress, Two Very Different Model Looks (
Celeb’s Style: Rachel Bilson (
Graduation Gifts for the Workchic College Grad (