Summer is a year round season down here in Florida. Sure it gets a little cooler during winter but for the most part it’s always warm. It’s funny because while everyone is out shouting, “summer is finally here!” I’m preparing for what I call our winter (of course when everyone is dealing with the cold, the weather is perfect here). Other than going to the beach, I crank the AC during these insane months of humidity, scorching heat
and daily thunderstorms and during the past 10 years I’ve come up with little tricks that help me and my family breeze right through the summer.
1. One of the most important parts of summer any where you go is being bikini ready. You always have to have a swimsuit on hand and be groomed. I’m one of the lucky ones who doesn’t really have to shave that often. And I don’t really like nor am I very good at using razors. Hair removal products from Veet are always kept in my shower for those last minute trips to the beach or bbq. Simply cover your legs or bikini area with the gel cream, remove with the plastic spatula and in under 3 minutes you’ll be good to go! Keeps skin stubble free for a few days longer than a razor and smells way better than those old smelly depilatories thanks to the lightly scented rose fragrance and citrus oils.
2. I can never have enough water in my house! My kids go though a five gallon jug of water every three to four days so during the summer I take the biggest cooler I have, place it in the sunroom, fill it with ice and stock it with small water bottles. Besides making them re-use the water bottles, it helps minimize the kids running in and out of the house (keeping the cool air inside).
3. I have 5 boys and every time I go out I hear, “mom I’m hungry can I buy a snack..can I buy a drink?” It can get kinda costly SO I grab another trusty cooler and keep it my trunk and fill it with their favorite snack bars and drinks. It’s so common for them that sometimes I find the cooler filled before I even get in the car.
4. During the summer I don’t like to blow dry my hair at home…it’s just too hot and takes way too long. For those days when the temps are almost at 100 I wash my hair and spray it with a sea salt spray I make at home. I take a inexpensive spray bottle add 1 cup of warm water, 1 tsp of sea salt, 1/2 tsp of of your favorite conditioner and a 1/2 tsp of gel for some hold and shake. If I’m going to be home I braid it and if I’m headed out I leave it loose and let it do it’s thing. Always leaves my hair soft and wavy.
5. I hate dry lips and when you live in Florida you’re always exposed to the sun. What I do is make my own lip scrub and use it every night before bed. I use a contact lens holder for the scrub but any small container will do. Mix 1/2 tsp of coconut oil or olive oil, 1 tbsp of white sugar and 1 tbsp of brown sugar and 1 tsp of honey and mix. For a touch of color you can add a drop or two of red food coloring.
Veet® helps you feel smooth all summer long.
There’s nothing like the feeling of freedom that summer brings.
“Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Reckitt Benckiser via MODE Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Reckitt Benckiser.”
When it’s hot and humid out I like to keep things simple. I want my summer beauty products to be able to be long lasting and portable because my Summer’s are busy and fun. Below are some of my must have items all under $20. I didn’t include amoisturizer on purpose, I have extremely oily skin and have yet to find one that doesn’t make me break out so right now I’m just using the Clarins Double Serum that I was sent to review (read about it here) it leaves my face incredibly soft and so far I have not broken out or really needed any moisturizer.
1. Here in Florida sunscreen is a year round must have and I always carry Neutrogena’s pure & free baby sunscreen for me and my kids. $8.99 available at
2. I do not lay out and tan so I love me a good self tanner. This one from avon gives the best sunkissed glow, smells so yummy and leaves my skin SO SO soft and it’s on sale for only $4.99 right now. Great price to stock up! Sale price $4.99 at
3. Self tanners and skin scrubs go hand in hand. They will give you smooth skin and help ensure a even tan from your tanning lotion. This one from Victoria Secret is hands down one of the best I’ve tried it’s $18 but one bottle can last all summer. Smoothing Scrub – $18 at
4. I’m a lip balm addict and have a ton of them on hand all of the time but the one that gets the most use is eos. eos lip balm $3.29 at
5. I use Nivea’s cherry lip balm under the eos for a pretty pink lip and at night I wear it under lip gloss – love it! $2.99 at
6. Creme eye shadows are the best for summer! These creme eye shadows fro Mary Kay last ALL day even in Florida heat. Plae Blush and Taupe are my favorite colors for a simple smoky eye. Mary Kay creme eye shadows – $14 at
7. Finishing dust is an absolute must. This one has a slight yellow tint, so it offsets redness and dark circles! On a good day I can skip my foundation it’s amazing. $14 at
8. Just enough color and not too much shimmer. Photo Ready Bronzing Powder – $10.97 at
9. My go to mascara – Cover Girl Lash Blast – $7.98 at
10. On those days where I can’t manage a mani I dab a little cuticle oil on my cuticle and throw on some clear polish. L’occitane cuticle oil – $18 at
Now this is what I call a polished summer look! Ashley Tisdale’s pairs distressed denim shorts with a beige blazer, slouchy tee and peep toe booties. Easy stylish outfit you can wear anywhere and even dress it up a bit with a tank, strappy sandals and a sexy red lipstick.
Well, it’s super super hot down here in Florida Hope everyone is staying cool and having fun. 🙂
Switched up my bedside flowers. This week I went with daisies. I couldn’t help it…they were so colorful and screamed happiness!
Finally bought the Essential City Bag by Foley & Corrina. Love that you can carry on your arm or fold it in half and wear as a cross body.
Drinks at Ella’s Folk Art Cafe in Tampa.
New Polishes by Revlon. I like color on my nails but for the most part I’m always in some neutral color. These shades are perfect with a tan.
Found these Starbuck refreshers at Walmart and I’m totally addicted! Like seltzer water but sweet and energizing.
Just a few pairs of shoes that will be in heavy rotation this summer. 🙂
I wanted a pair of strappy sandals but I find them a tad uncomfortable. These heels (on the left) by Dolce Vita are a perfect replacement. They lace up the front but still give me the support I need. They’re by far one of my favorite! The Steven wedges are amazing! They go with everything and look amazing with a little black dress. The metallic wedge give them a little glitz and the tan color keeps them casual – love them!
As much as I love my heels I need to be realistic. I can’t always run around with heels while I’m with the baby. For those busy days I have my Yosi Samra sandals in white with animal print. SO comfy! In my purse I usually carry around my London Sole ballerina flats. They go with everything anytime of the year!
For days at the playground I’ve also got some sneaks. I bought these keds like sneaks from a street vendor in NY for only $5 each. Nothing beats shopping those NY street vendors – nothing! I miss NY 🙁
Looking to spruce your summer shoe game? Tomorrow Shopbop.com is having a great sale beginning Tuesday June 24 at 7am EST. You can get 25% extra off all items already on sale! What are your go to shoes during the summer?
Lace Up Heels:
Ballerina Flats: c/o
Sneaks: Knickerbocker St. vendor in Brooklyn
*not a sponsored post
I set up an entire pinterest board for crop tops and while it provides some major inspiration I am unfortunately going to have to pass on the trend because it’s only been 3 months since I had Joseph and I’m just not ready. I did however wear a crop top underneath a blazer last year before I was pregnant (you can see it here). Below are some of my favorite looks.
The kids have now been on summer break for two whole weeks and keeping me busy but I love it! It’s amazing having kids in such different age ranges, you literally get to have a little fun doing a little bit of everything. Just today I took my oldest to buy his girlfriend flowers, then I took Robert to Target to buy Pokemon cards and while I was there bought Joseph some teething rings. It’s crazy but in the best possible way.
I’ve been looking for a flokati rug for a long time. It’s not that I couldn’t find one; I just couldn’t justify spending more than $20 or $30 for it. While at Walmart I found a decent sized rug for only $19.99!
One of my favorite saying’s is, “it is what it is,” so when I saw this mug at T.J. Maxx for only $2.99 I had to have it!
Finding a pack of 5 sleeveless onesies for only $7.99 at Marshalls – score! Not for me but a bargain always makes happy! Sleeveless are almost impossible to find at stores. Look at those chunky arms!
I love pesto but I’m tired of just tossing it with pasta. This time I added cheese ravioli (it was supposed to be tortellini but they were out), asparagus and sauteed spinach – yummy!
Last week I bought this green dress from Target – it was on clearance for only $16 and I loved it so much I went back and got it in deep rose and then ordered it in black. You can find the dresses
Every so often I come across a pair of shoes (heels to be specific – they’re my weakness) that I must have! I immediately know exactly how I will style them and even where I want to wear them. Well last month I was eyeing the L.A.M.B. Savanna Strappy heel and they’ve been on my mind ever since. I love that they’re edgy and oh so very sexy! I have visions of wearing the tan pair out dancing with a LWD (in my visions I’m also back to my pre-pregnancy weight); and pairing the black ones with a tank and some boyfriend jeans ala Gwen Stefani.
They’re perfect and more importantly on sale!! Hmmmmm…..should I splurge??? We’ll see! Until then check out how I’d style them below and you can check out all of the LAMB shoes on sale for yourself but be careful because you will want them all! You’ve been warned.
“Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Caress® . The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Caress®.”
For my final post on stylish inspirations taken from Caress® Fresh Collection Body Wash I’m highlighting Caress® Aqua Sparkle™ Fresh Collection Body Wash. This body wash has lilac blossom with a aquamarine essence. Another crisp fresh scent with an equally vibrant color that flawlessly goes with Caress® Juicy Escape™ Fresh Collection Body Wash (click here to see those looks). The gorgeous aqua color is perfect to incorporate into any summer outfit but I specifically like accessories with aqua accents that have a boho-ish feel.
With my last looks I focused on a cheerful yellow and styled one yellow blazer for day and night. This time I’m going to stick with yellow but keep it simple and add the aqua accessories. Check out the looks below.
I went with a monochromatic look using pale yellows. I love mononchromatic outfits! Not only are they sleek, but they also give the body a more slender illusion. I injected some aqua via earring letting the aqua stand on its own while complimenting the outfit.
Another easy way is to mix and match your bikinis. Try a yellow bikini top with aqua bottoms or vice versa. It’ll definitely turn heads and I guarantee you that no one else will have the same bikini.
And there’s always room for a little yellow dress with adorable aqua flats!
All gorgeous takes on caresses fresh collection that are perfect to pack away for a little vacation.
The Caress® Fresh collection wraps your skin in vibrant scents and hydrating lather, leaving it revitalized and delicately scented. Try the new Caress® Fresh Collection and revitalize your skin like never before.
The winners are: Alexander & Bianca! Congratulations and a big thank you to all who participated.
This one’s for the boys! Just in time for Father’s Day and the summer days that follow, Eastdane.com is offering 2 lucky fashiongrail readers $100 gift cards. EastDane is Shopbop’s sister site (and one of my favorite online sites) and carries a TON of stylish clothes and shoes from both affordable and luxury designers. EastDane also has some incredible sales going on right now to include a
Below are some must-have summer items for men. All you need to do win a $100 gift card is to head over to
Giveaway will run from June 13, 2014 until June 20, 2014. Giveaway is open to worldwide entries! This giveaway is sponsored by East Dane and winner will be emailed their gift cards. Good luck!